Ep. 34: CBS’s Survivor, Steve Nash, and the False Hope of Athletes
PTR episode 34 Folks!
On this week’s podcast, the PTR crew catches up on the latest Survivor episode - getting into J’Tia’s hilarious incompetence. We also delve into the recent Steve Nash documentary and his very personal revelations about trying to stick in the NBA. Also, Mando recounts a recent visit to an NBA D-League game… you could smell the desperation in the air.
Survivor: 2:24 min mark.
Steve Nash and False Hope: 20:45 min mark.
Mando’s twitter: @irredeemablynba
Evan’s twitter: @evanistics
Episode 27: Evan’s trip to Japan, Jason Collins, and NBA Playoffs
What’s up everybody? This is episode 27 of the Pass the Relish podcast!
In this episode Zack, Mando, and Evan discuss
• Evan’s trip to Japan and visiting atrocity memorials…
• Does Jason Collins represent a sea-change in the gay rights issue? Also, what this has to do with climate change! WOW
• Finally, we get some quick thoughts in on the NBA playoffs.
Tune in next week and we will have a full Survivor season finale and some round 1 wrap up!
Episode 25: Guns and Democracy, Margaret Thatcher’s Legacy, and THE MASTERS
PTR Episode 25! That is two in one week folks! ! Mando and Zack get serious about…
- 4:00 Gun control and what it says about democracy.
- 16:20 Margaret Thatcher’s complicated legacy.
- 26:30 Tiger Woods, golf and THE MASTERS!
Till next time folks!
Stock Market Soars, 10yr Iraq War, NCAA vs. NBA, and FX’s “The Americans”
Episode 23! Stock Market Soars, 10 years of the Iraq War, NCAA vs. the NBA, and FX’s The Americans
Hey what’s up everybody!
Pass the Relish episode 23! Three segments. Three different perspectives. Politics, Sports, and Entertainment!
On this weeks episode the gang discusses:
- 8:20 Record profits in the stock market and the 10th anniversary of the Iraq War
- 15:30 NCAA vs. the NBA
- 30:00 The FX show “The Americans,” Women on T.V., and Rape Culture
Till next time folks!
Episode 22: Hugo Chavez and the POPE, the NBA and TAYSHAUN PRINCE, and the Greatest T.V. Meltdown of All Time!
Episode 22! Hugo Chavez and the POPE! The NBA Western Conference! And the Greatest T.V. Meltdown of all time!
Hey what’s up everybody!
Pass the Relish debuts its new podcast format! Three segments. Three different perspectives. Politics, Sports, and Entertainment! Let us know what you think and be sure to join us here NEXT friday for another episode of the PTR podcast
- 1:15 PTR’s political endorsements! The media’s coverage of Hugo Chavez’s Death, The Minimum Wage, and THE POPE.
- 18:55 The NBA Western Conference playoff race and TAYSHAUN PRINCE!
- 38:30 Survivor and the greatest T.V. breakdown of all time.
Till next time folks!
Episode 20: PTR is back with some NBA talk!
Pass the Relish has been off the grid for awhile now! But hold onto your hats cause we have a few episodes coming your way…
First up? Brian joins Mando for a recap of the first third of the NBA season!
We got Knicks, Melo, Nets, Clippers, Grizzlies, Lakers, Kobe’s bad defense, Thunder, James Harden, and all the rest!
let us know what you think!
Ep 17: Coaching strategy in Spurs/Thunder, Future of the Lakers, How a new rule changed the NBA
Hey what’s up everybody!? Are you feigning for a new PTR podcast with great music? Well here’s episode 17 where special guest Brian joining Mando for 45 minutes of NBA playoff madness.
Here are the 4 topics we get into…
- 1:00 — What exactly are the Spurs doing to the Thunder?
- 17:30 — The Celtics still have a chance, here’s why
- 26:30 — Where do the Lakers go from here?
- 35:00 — How a subtle rule change has drastically changed the NBA
Here’s the musicians in case you are wondering…
- Black Uhuru — Dub You Haffe Dub
- Common — Break My Heart
- Mayer Hawthorne — A Long Time
- johnny cash — Folsom Prison Blues
- Tesla Boy — Spirit of the Night
Till next time folks!
Shenanigans Ep16: NBA Playoffs, Survivor, Avengers!
Hey folks! Episode 16 of the Shenanigans podcast! It’s been a long time, but this is probably one of our best yet…
We hit you with 20 min of NBA Playoffs, 20 min of Survivor, and 20 min of Avengers! We also added some sweet tunes in the background, some come check it out….
- 1:00 mark: Would You Give OKC’s Harden 15 million dollars and How Kobe Needs to Be Tim Duncan.
- 20:00 mark: Did Kim Create a New Final Game Strategy? Also, Post-Racial America and Colton, lol.
- 37:20 mark: The Business Model of Superhero Movies and Why We Give Avengers a B+
'TIll next time folks!
— Pass the Relish
Why the Injury to Derrick Rose Will Make the Bulls Better
The loss of Derrick Rose to a torn ACL felt like the loss of a relative. The pain was exacerbated by both 1) Rip Hamilton’s “back from the dead” performance in game 1 which made one think the Bulls might have had that elusive second offensive option, and 2) the fact that, just hours later, Lebron and the Heat completely annihilated the Knicks 100-67 in what was one of the most embarrassing defeats in Knick history.
After much soul searching, my fixation on “what could have been” with the 2012 Bulls has given way to a rationalization that some may fine less intuitive. Rose’s injury will make the Bulls a better team. Here’s why:
Why There’s Good Reason to Think the Celtics Can Win the East
It’s almost like a god given belief the Bulls and Heat will compete for the Eastern conference title this year. The Celtics, Pacers, and Knicks are kind of like these dark horse picks that people will always say if a few very specific things happen — like an injury to the Bulls or Heat — then MAYBE, just maybe, they can compete for the title.
I know what you are going to say: they don’t have a chance, their window closed almost two years ago, and how in the hell can they guard Lebron?
Shenanigans Ep15: The Super Bowl and Why Melo might be the most unique NBA player in history.
Hey Hey Everybody! This is Episode 15 of the Shenanigans podcast hosted by Pass the Relish blog…
This week the gang discusses why the Super Bowl sucked so much, QB legacies (Peyton vs Eli and Tom Brady) and why we care so much about quarter backs at all.
Also, the NBA. How do we feel about the All-Star voting… Zack and Mando have a bit of a disagreement over Kevin Love vs. Lamarcus Aldridge… and, the most important topic of all, does Carmelo Anthony the most unique player of all time? We mean that in a bad way, lol.
— till next time guys!
Shenanigans Ep11: NBA Season Preview with a Special Guest! What does “Unguardable” and “Potential” Really Mean in the NBA?
Hey Hey Folks! This is Episode 11 of the Shenanigans Podcast hosted by Passtherelish.tumblr.com
This week Mando is joined by a special guest known only as “The Friend.” Though, in real life his name is Brian. We get together in what we hope is the first of many NBA related podcasts to discuss the upcoming NBA season. Put your feat up cause we take you through a massive preview of most of the contending teams, plus we discuss what being “unguardable” really means and how precarious “potential” is in the NBA.
We hit on the following topics:
- We cover the Bulls and their Boozer-tied potential
- Did the Stern veto actually work out for the better? Sorry Laker fans. And, relatedly, the CP3 trade proves why Donald Sterling is a hack.
- The Mavs and why the loss of J.J. Barea Matters more than the loss of Tyson Chandler
- The Thunder and their problems.
- Are the Lakers in their “old-news” phase?
- The Blazers and what young and promising really means.
- A bold prediction for the Knicks, followed by three qualifiers.
- Kevin Durant and the Mid-Post
- Lebron and perseverance
- What does being “unguardable” really mean?
Hope you guys enjoy! Sorry about the technical difficulties we are still figuring out how to do remote podcast!
Shenanigans Ep9: Chris Paul! David Stern! Dwight Howard! The Lakers, Nets, Clippers! Two-part NBA Extravaganza!
This week the gang presents a 2-part NBA free agency extravaganza!
In case you haven’t been following along… this past week has seen some of the wildest NBA free agency/trade developments that we’ve ever seen. Chris Paul! Dwight Howard! David Stern, Big Markets! Small Markets! The Lakers, Clippers, Nets, and much much more!
The podcast is broken up into two parts with Evan and Mando in the first and Zack joining in on the second! Check it out after the jump…
Shenanigans Ep8: Taking Bill Simmons to Task on the NBA Lockout!
Hey Hey everybody.. this is episode 8 of the Shenanigans podcast hosted by Passtherelish!
This week the gang offers counter-arguments to sportswriter Bill Simmons’ pro-owner arguments after NBA lockout was finally concluded last week! Woo Hoo!
The gang feels really bad. We are all huge Bill Simmons fans, with Mando even listening to every one of his NBA related podcasts 6 times over, but enough is enough…. we decided to get together and do something about the pro-NBA owner ranting that’s drilling holes into our heads. Yikes!
Here’s a summary of all the points we address in sequential order in case you want to follow along:
- Should athletes just accept whatever owners tell them they are worth?
- We are talking about precentage of B.R.I. not totals!!!!! aaahhh!
- Are the NBA players way overpaid and is the league actually losing a lot of money?
- The three pro-NBA player points that no one is talking about (including the union): Flipping franchises, Real-Estate Ponzi Schemes, and Player Prestige. DO NOT MISS THIS!
- Why is the mid-level exception so damn important to players? We tell you. lol.
- What the hell do public sector workers, banks, and personal responsibility have to do with any of this? haha. We also tell you this.
Hope you guys enjoy! – Mando
Mando’s Five Friday Progressive News Tidbits (no.5)
Here are your five Friday afternoon news tidbits folks! Hope you enjoy them! Click ‘read more’ to see my full take.
- Conspiracy theory on clearing out occupy encampments?
- The NBA lockout and how the players union totally botched everything
- The N17 day of action and what could have been in Los Angeles
- Counting the amount of times the words “inequality” get said in the mainstream media.
- Life is really really pleasant in Greece right now. I am joking.